Thursday 8 December 2011

08.12. Garden pics cavalcade

Britain has experience an atrocious weather the last 24 hours, with winds up to 165 miles per hour, 50 000 people without power, roads and schools closed, fallen trees, buildings and cars damaged. Winter has certainly arrived to our shores. Here in London we are as usual somewhat sheltered against the worst of the weather, but we have felt the wind here too! I had a stroll in my garden today, but I made it a quick one as the wind was so cold I just could not bear it.

And that means no photos from my garden today, although there is always something flowering in my garden, no matter what time of year it is. I did notice several of my roses are still bearing both buds and flowers, and the cyclamens are looking lovely. The thought of getting my camera out was just unthinkable so I decided to put together a little movie with photos from past years instead. The movie shows how my garden has developed since 2005, and also how it changes with the seasons. Any annoying adds popping up? Just click the x inside the add and it will disappear.


I hope you enjoyed the music as well as the photos; it was ‘The Swan’ from The Carnival of the Animals, a musical suite of fourteen movements by the French Romantic composer Camille Saint-Saëns. I usually add classical music to my movies, and I especially like music with cello solos, as I used to play cello myself. That is a long time ago though, in something that feels like another life now; before my hands decided to stop cooperating with me. I still enjoy listening to classical music, and so does my cat, funnily enough! Every time I put on some music he will come and lie next to me, just like he does when I talk on the phone. I wonder if he thinks I am making the sound?? He obviously likes the music, he even comes running down the stairs when I put classical music on, if he happens to be sleeping upstairs! Cats are funny animals, aren’t they? :-)

This post is going to be a short one, I’ve got a looong day at the hospital tomorrow again, am going to see my physiotherapist at UCH in Central London, which means hospital transport and lots of waiting and hanging about. And being Friday and bad weather you can be sure that the rush traffic home is going to be murder. I don’t expect to be home until 7:30 pm at least. Last Friday it was nearly 8:00 pm before I put the key in my door. I better find my bed, until next time, take care :-)

11 comments:

  1. We had that weather here in North Carolina, USA just a few days ago. It can be frightening. Just wanted to stop by and say welcome to blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Helene. I'll continue to read with interest.
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna, thanks for the welcome, I am hooked on Blotanical now!

    Nathan, hi to you too and welcome as a Follower, you will find lots of different topics in my older posts :-)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He Helene - I'm thrilled to have found your blog. I love what you've done in your garden. Its developed beautifully over the few years.

    Welcome also to Blotanical - It's great! If you enjoys gardens and gardening, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed seeing your garden grow! I had not heard that about the winds in England. The winds are ferocious all over this year, it seems! What a funny cat - I bet he is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the video you put together of your garden over the years. I'm still trying to get my garden to where there is some kind of color all year long. I recently started a blog about my gardening. Would you mind checking it out and giving me any pointers, on gardening or blogging, as you obviously know what you're doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine, and thanks for the warm welcome, yes I do enjoy the contact with all sorts of gardeners through Blotanical, have ‘met’ lots already!

    Holley: yes, my garden is a labour of love, my sanctuary and the most important room in my house! My cat is adorable, and he was 10 years old last month. I made special posts about him on the 29th and 30th November :-)

    IgnorantGardener: I have had a look at your blog and you have lots of beautiful pictures. I try to put some effort into the layout on my blog, something you don’t notice that much when it works well, but you really notice when it is a bit hap-hazard. Try to keep to one font size, the same amount of space between photos and all paragraphs and perhaps let your text flow around your pictures. You have lots of unused options in the editor :-) I also always use the jump-break function, which you can see if you look through a few posts of mine. For more help, please email me with questions, I would be more than happy to help you. Go to my web-site to find contact details, link to my web-site is on the left side panel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the video, great idea showing the your pretty garden change through time and season. Hope all is well with you and take care.

    That was remarkable weather you had. We have never had winds that high, so I cannot imagine what they do to the surroundings. It is bad enough when we get high winds of 90 mph, and that is very rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi... First off, I wanted to thank you for the Fave on Blotanical... secondly, I very much enjoyed seeing your garden through the seasons in this post and your choice of "The Swan" as an accompaniment was excellent! I hope that the damage from those horrible winds was minimal... take care, Larry at Conrad Art Glass & Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great picture show! Your garden looks really friendly and inviting, and I look forward to visiting it in the future.

    -Søren

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a joy to see a garden changing thorugh the seasons as that doesn't really happen in my part of the world. I so enjoyed your video.

    The winds you described are certainly not uncommon here in the tropics. It can actually get far worse than that if the cyclone is extreme. We average around four to five cyclones every summer with power lost, fallen trees and damaged buildings. I can imagine it would be horrible to experience all that during Winter!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.